Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

Fish

In an hour, a good friend who is going away for 2 months is bringing her fish to me. Six fish with a bottom feeder. Just because I have kids, people assume I can take care of small creatures (not!). I tell her that I am really bad with fish and that they have very limited life span under my watch. That they will surely die and she must not feel bad or ask for them back. She tells me that its ok, its ok if they die and she will not feel bad. I don't know how this is any better than flushing them down the toilet but the fish will be delivered to me in an hour - the hospice for abandoned fish.

Cat Recollections

Obviously people have faith in my animal rearing ability despite my bad track record. Earlier in the year, my brother brings me his fat cat, Chloe because he is going to the States for 2 weeks for training. He arrives with a large litter box and a pack of dry food and snacks and a tshirt bearing his scent. Chloe runs under my sofa and pisses on his lap when he tries to comfort her. She is soo scared. For the next 2 weeks, Chloe pines for my brother in my house losing weight even though we lay out lots of food for her. I rationalise that the weight loss is healthy for her. 2 weeks passes by too slowly. My brother returns and as I watch her reunite (happy meows and affectionate purrings) and as she piles into the car with my brother...it is as tearjerking as seeing an orphaned child returned to her parents she thought were dead but were not actually.

Clearing out my wardrobe

I end the year with a happy story about my wardrobe. It was a big mess so I tried to organise it into neat piles today. Its funny how your wardrobe can tell you a story about what's happened in your year. I tried on my old pair of Levi's faded jeans which I couldnt fit in at the start of 2008 and due to running, it now fits. For a change I put aside clothes which had become too large instead of too small. I also packed in a neat pile, my new clothes - dri fit tops, running shorts, swimming cap.

That's just a reflection on what's on my mind today and also, I wanted to wish everyone who has been giving me encouraging comments and just being there, a very happy new year.

Postcript Jan 1 - one fish died today.

8 Comments:

Blogger imp said...

and may there be more neat piles for you in the new year.

have a good 2009!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hi Imp

Lets see if the discipline keeps up. Happy 09!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the fishes! :)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhahaa!! it IS better than flushing them down the toilet while they're still alive! will be reading your blog for more updates on the fish!

p/s: good thing they were never named!!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post really cracked me up!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on fitting into the clothes! If you keep up the running, you will soon see that it's the best way to eat ANYTHING you want and not get fat!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Tiff, Ying, Sesame - i will try to keep them alive!

Jill - thanks :) Very hard to resist those favourite foods so have to keep it up.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

"The hospice for abandoned fish" sounds like an album or book title, for some reason!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home